I absolutely adore family recipes. There’s something so nostalgic to me about pulling out a hand-written recipe card from past generations and whipping up time tested dishes… but I’d be totally lying if I told you it didn’t make me feel just a little bit proud when John asks for my oatmeal cookies.
You see, I’m the cookie maker in the family. I think everyone knows that. My mom’s the supper lady, my oldest sister is who you want for pies, and I–well, I make the cookies! I worked to perfect my oatmeal cookie recipe for years. I’ve tried alternative recipes.–I even made John’s grandmother’s recipe–but none just *clicked* for me. I dabbled with different ingredients and amounts, and the final result has become my go-to oatmeal cookie! I made these for a friend after she had surgery, and she told me that my cookies were the only food she could eat without feeling nauseous. If that’s not a sign these cookies are the best, I don’t know what is! 😉
My husband’s favorite cookie is oatmeal raisin, so I split the dough half and half… half oatmeal raisin, half chocolate chip! Sometimes I dream of being adventurous and adding walnuts or dried cranberry!
Without further adieu,
Not Your Momma’s Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
These delectable cookies can be customized to almost any taste! Add your favorite pieces–raisins, nuts, chocolate chips–or leave them plain!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 cup quick oats
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon (this is the secret ingredient)!
- In a mixing bowl with the mixer on low, combine unsalted butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Once combined, cream this mixture on high.
- Once mixture is creamed, with the mixer on low, add the flour mixture until no flour is visible.
- Stir in oats and other toppings (raisins, chocolate chips, nuts).
- Bake for 11-13 minutes at 350 degrees.
And there you have it! Not Your Momma’s Oatmeal Cookies are simply the best. Give them a try and let me know how much you love them. I’d love to know what goodies you choose to put in them. Someone PLEASE make these with dried cranberry. #Yum