Fairly often, my husband and I have “breakfast for dinner”. That can mean several things, but many times it means pancakes or waffles. Much like cornbread, I think the best pancakes are made from scratch. There’s just not a boxed mix out there that really does pancakes right, in my opinion. And this DIY pancake mix is SO EASY to make at home! I honestly don’t know why anyone would choose not to.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s just as convenient as boxed pancake mix, without actually coming from a box. I mix all the dry ingredients and I store them in a container. When I make pancakes, I scoop out just enough for the two of us and add the necessary wet ingredients. I love being able to store the mix for long periods of time. So stinking easy. Plus, I know exactly what’s in the mix and that always makes me feel better.
DIY Storable Pancake Mix
- 8 c flour
- 6 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp sugar
- vanilla extract
- Combine all dry ingredients, stir and store in an airtight container.
- Store until ready for delicious pancakes/waffles!
- Combine 1+1/3 cup stored mix, 1 cup milk, 1 egg, and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Put the skillet on medium high heat and cook pancakes until desired done-ness.
- Top with butter and your favorite syrup!
- 1+1/3 cup mix will make approximately 6 pancakes. You may want to double, or triple the amounts mentioned if you're feeding a crowd.
This DIY pancake mix also works just as well with waffles. In fact, that’s how we use it mostly, so don’t be afraid of that. I know some people have different preferences as far as consistency of the batter goes, so feel free to add more or less milk when you’re making the batter so that it meets your standards. 😉
Does anyone dislike pancakes or waffles? I mean, really… they are breakfast staples. Now that I’ve made my own pancake mix I will never go back to store-bought pancake mix. This DIY storable pancake mix changed my breakfast-loving heart forever.