As the weather gets cooler, my patience for slaving over the stove slowly disappears. Maybe it’s because the end of the year is so busy for everyone. Unfortunately, my love of a home cooked meal stays pretty constant all year long. What’s a girl to do? Turn to the crock pot, that’s what. One of my all time favorite slow cooker meals is taco soup. It’s easy. It’s versatile. It’s (most importantly) delicious.
I’ve been making this soup for a while now, although I’ve recently converted it into a slow cooker meal (which really didn’t take any extra steps-I’m not sure what took me so long). The great thing about it is that you can make it with chicken, ground beef, or ground turkey (if you’re into that kind of thing). You can omit ingredients or add them as you see fit, too. Really the only thing that taco soup must have is taco seasoning… the rest is just preference.
I usually make taco soup with chicken, and turn it into chicken tortilla soup. However, this particular morning I was out of chicken, so I made it with ground beef. The result was hearty and filling! It gave the dish a little something different, and that’s always nice every once in a while.
Pssst!! You may want my taco seasoning recipe for this one!
- 1 pound ground beef/turkey (or 4 chicken breasts)
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can Rotel (or diced tomato)
- 3 tablespoons (or more, to taste) Making Mrs. M's Make-At-Home Taco Seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion
- grated cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- If using ground beef or turkey, brown the meat completely and put it in the slow cooker.
- Dice the onion and toss it in the slow cooker.
- Add in all cans of vegetables.
- Add in taco seasoning.
- Cook on low in a slow cooker (crock-pot) for 8 hours.
- If made with chicken, shred meat.
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and grated fiesta cheese if desired.
- If you choose to make this recipe with chicken, there is no need to cook prior to adding meat to slow cooker. 8 Hours in the slow cooker should yield perfectly cooked chicken.
Is your attention span short for cooking this time of year, too? Let’s talk about it.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!